About English at CHICLE
We regret that CHICLE is not able to assist students with visas.
ESL Courses that we offer:
- Intermediate ESL
- Advanced ESL
- Advanced ESL Writing
- TOEFL Preparation
- Accent Modification
Second language speakers often find that after they have mastered the art of the conversation, they still have trouble following movies, television, or radio in another language.
About English at CHICLE
- The cost of classes is $15/hour. Group classes typically run for 1.5 hours at least once per week.
- Our ESL course offerings provide integrated skill work (speaking, listening, reading, and writing) and place a priority on conversation. We incorporate cultural content and current topics into our instruction, and we also ground our classes in a grammatical topic, to provide students with a basis for their skill practice.
- The focus in all classes is on conversational skills, comprehension of spoken American English, common usage problems, and idiomatic English.
- Intermediate and advanced students are exposed to regional accents, dialects, and the use of different and appropriate ways of speaking in specific situations.
- CHICLE's advanced English students take private or small group classes that focus on the particular issues that they have. These include accent modification, preparation for conference presentations, or conversation and grammar.
- We encourage international students to come spend one or more months in Chapel Hill studying with us.
- Students often study with us four or five hours a day.
- We help them with their language skills and also introduce them to the Research Triangle area.
- As part of our instruction, we help them feel more comfortable using the telephone, guide them in using the Internet to enhance their language skills, provide opportunities for conversation with native English speakers, and encourage them to make presentations in English.
- We can not, however, help with visas nor give college credits.
- We also offer intensive classes at a reduced rate for students who are visiting for a month or more and want classes at least 10 hours a week.
- Private instruction is scheduled at the student's convenience. Cost is $45/hour for one student, $35/hour/student for two students. When we have three or more students at the same level, we form a group class.
TOEFL Classes at CHICLE
Foreigners who wish to attend a U.S. university are usually required to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam. Our English teachers can help you prepare for this exam.
We use standard TOEFL preparation books and work with the student on whatever their weaknesses are. Whenever possible, we group students for this class.
Private instruction is scheduled at the student's convenience. Cost is $45/hour for one student, $35/hour/student for two students. Some students take once a week, others twice. Some take one hour classes, some one and a half, others two hours. Depending on deadlines, TOEFL preparation can also be done intensively.